- About Us
- Our Work
- Get Involved
- What's New
Jobs & Internships
We are currently looking for an unpaid intern to help with our Christmas Card Appeal.
Renewable World Internship Role Outline
This internship will provide successful applicant with first hand fundraising and marketing experience, an opportunity to develop project management skills and an insight into the fundraising and marketing activities of a small international NGO.
It is an ideal opportunity for a committed graduate wanting to gain experience in the charity sector. It will suit an individual with an interest in fundraising and marketing, and wishing to gain direct experience of working on a media appeal. They will have an ability to inspire and motivate others.
About Renewable World
Over 1.3 billion people worldwide cannot access electricity. Indoor air pollution from paraffin, wood, grass or animal dung used for lighting and heating kills nearly 2 million people every year – mainly women and children.
Renewable World, a registered charity, tackles poverty by leveraging funds, expertise and resources from the UK and European Renewable Energy Industry to support renewable energy systems in remote, off-grid communities in Africa, Asia and Central America.
We support local partners through a combination of financing, capacity building and knowledge sharing to install small-scale renewable energy systems (solar, wind, hydro and biogas) appropriate to communities’ needs. Communities own and manage the systems and users pay a small fee for energy use, which forms a maintenance fund and ensures the long term sustainability of the project.
Our work transforms lives. Energy enables communication and trade, supports the establishment of new income generating ventures and stimulates enterprise. Education is improved as children can study in the evenings, and schools can open later for adult education. Energy provision improves health through the use of clean lighting and cooking sources, and because clean water can be pumped direct to households. Healthcare is more accessible because clinics can keep vaccines, HIV tests and snakebite anti-venom in fridges.
- Starting 15/10/2014 or ASAP, minimum 3 months commitment preferred.
- 2 x half days / 1 day a week minimum commitment more preferred (flexible days)
- Internship based in central Brighton office
- Unpaid (expenses covered – see below)
In exchange for their hard work the successful candidate will receive:
- Valuable transferrable fundraising and office skills
- Reasonable travel expenses covered (up to £30 a week) and up to £5 a day lunch allowance. Expenses can only be claimed with valid receipt for travel or lunch on days worked.
- Full induction, regular support and supervision in order to ensure the experience gained is valuable to both the intern and Renewable World
- A reference at the end of the placement
- The satisfaction of helping transform the lives of some of the world’s poorest people
- By CV and cover letter e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Deadline: 08/10/2014
- Interviews: week commencing 08/10/2014
- Please ensure your cover letter clearly states, amongst other things:
o The position you are applying for and where you saw the advertisement
o Your reasons for applying / what you hope to get out of the experience
o How you your skills and experience would help you in the role
o Your availability
- Please ensure your CV includes details, amongst other things:
o Any previous work experience
o Any previous volunteering experience
o Academic background and achievement
CV and cover letter will be considered in the context of “Preferred Intern Characteristics” given below. See below for further details regarding the activities interns are likely to perform, the preferred characteristics for an intern and background information on Renewable World.
Christmas Card Appeals Intern activities
It is envisaged that principle activities will be those outlined below. Changes to these activities may occur at the discretion of the Fundraising and Communications Manager, and in discussion with the Intern, as organisational needs change and in response to intern competencies.
Christmas E-Card Campaign
· To work alongside the Communications & Fundraising Manager to promote Christmas e-cards to companies
· To managing relationships with corporate clients via telephone and email
· To work in coordination with the volunteer team at Lime Search
· To keep an excel log of contacts made, nurtured and cards ordered
Preferred intern characteristics
· Highly organized, ideally with a successful track record of planning, managing and delivering successful projects
· Good understanding of marketing and promotional methods
· Excellent telephone manner
· Highly computer literate and can pick up new software packages (our events fundraising package) and manage complex information via excel
· Experience of working in a customer focused role within a team environment
· Experience of managing and developing external relationships
· A lively personality with an ability to inspire and motivate others
· Good attention to detail
· Willingness to undertake a range of tasks, including basic administrative support
· Reliable and eager to learn
· Knowledge of the Renewable Energy Industry
The Christmas E-Card campaign raises vitally needed general funds for Renewable World, and forms an important first point of contact for corporate with an interest in supporting us. Our range of stylish e-cards are personalized for companies who can choose from a selection of e-cards or commission a bespoke design. See www.renewable-world.org/content/christmas-e-cards.
Internships at Renewable World
If you are interested in volunteering with us please send your CV and a discription of your skills and experience to email@example.com
We are delighted to receive pro-bono recruitment support from:
Lime Search, a boutique executive search firm focused on recruiting senior professionals into the energy sector. As well as professional support, Lime Search staff each volunteer one day a month at Renewable World's Brighton office.
En-Spiral, the renewable, energy and low-carbon recruitment specialists, who provide pro-bono recruitment services to Renewable World as part of their commitment to corporate social responsibility.
Matchtech offers specialist engineering recruitment services to the UK renewable energy industry, and provide pro-bono recruitment services for our technical roles.